Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Crochet

That's right I admit it, I'm a 27 year old who crochets...and likes it!!! My mother knits and crochets, so I remember as a child watching every winter as she pulled out her craft items, knitting needles, crochet hooks, and counted cross stitch kits. Now I have tried all of them through the years and it seems that the only one that I really have the patience for crochet. In my teens I attempted counted cross stitch...the first attempt is still lying in a box somewhere at my parents home unfinished. I also tried knitting in my teems. My mother felt that this would be easier than crochet to begin with...the wonky scarf is most likely buried with the cross stitch effort. I was so frustrated with my knitting efforts that I didn't attempt crochet until a few years ago. A good friend of mine was having a baby and at the time my mother was on a big crochet kick...so I asked her to teach me how to make a baby blanket for her. Both the baby and her mother loved it!



After I made that first blanket I found out I had to have knee surgery and would be in bed for about a week...I needed something to do. So it began and hasn't stopped since. I slow down over the summer, and depending on my school load, I usually make two to three full sized blankets a year, three or four baby/lap blankets, and a hand full of scarfs. I hope to get a table at an annual craft fair in a nearby city this winter and sell some of the ones that I have accumulated. I'm also going to try and post some on my Etsy shop and see if they sell there at all.

Anywho, after the past six months or so I have finally finished my most recent blanket. Although making all the pieces wasn't a big deal, piecing them together took quite a while, especially with finals this year. I love the way that it turned out though! Next time I use this pattern I might make it a little larger since it is a bit of a lap blanket but the pattern I think is beautiful! Now I get to begin on a new crochet project which makes me really happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment