Monday, August 6, 2012

Tiny Squares...

So Handmade Heart is in a bit of a lull right now.  I've unfortunately had some people special order things, and then not pay for them.  Frankly as a small business owner, and relying on payment since this is still my only job right now, when someone doesn't pay it affects me a lot!  So I had to create some policies for purchasing, which makes me feel like a bad guy, but when I'm often paying for materials upfront expecting to be compensated after competition and that doesn't happen that leaves me in a bad place.  So what's done is done, please read these policies if you intend to purchase from or commission me.

Now on to the fun stuff!  Right now I only have one special order I need to complete, and it's cards.  I need to get on that, but I've been searching for some inspiration to get me going.  Since I've had some time with the special order board being empty (I don't like this!) I decided to get a head start on making my Holiday gifts for this year.  I'm going to be making a lot of handmade gifts for people this year with things I already have on hand to help keep Holiday costs for me down this year.  In the past I have allowed some costs to get out of control.

The first gift I've begun is going to be for my older sisters boyfriend.  Another blog that I frequent, Cut to Pieces, is having a quilt along I decided to join in on.  The quilt is going to be Super Mario Brothers themed, and since he's a big gamer it seemed perfect for him.  My family is going to chip in and it's going to be a gift from all of us, but I still have to make it!  Yikes!

Everything sounds cool about that right?  Well in theory it was a good idea, now that I've begun, I'm having second thoughts!  The quilt is pieced together with 1.5" x 1.5" blocks so that it looks like all the pixels of the original game.  The problem with that...I have to cut out all the 1.5" blocks, all 3,888 of them!!!!  Once I get that done things should move rather quickly in making it, it's just A LOT of prep work.  So I've been spending my time with the Olympics on in the background, cutting tiny squares.  At least it's moderately mindless.  =)






I also want to begin work on a wall hanging I want to make for a friend having a baby in November.  I found this pattern online and think it's SUPER cute, and that she will love it.  The problem is it isn't a free pattern though, and it's $29.  Personally I think that's a bit steep for a quilt pattern of the size that it is, but it is the designers choice.  I may or may not end up making this particular quilt, but I'd really love to make one with an animal theme rather than the traditional pink for girl, blue for boy, cutesie type of piece.  Mom's not really a cutesie type of woman, lol.  If anyone knows of any alternatives that may be more cost effective for me, please let me know!





So that's been my life right now, prepping gift quilts, and watching the Olympics, lol.  I lead such an exciting life, lol.  =)  <3 br="br">

No comments:

Post a Comment